Last night I rolled out an online Phone & Tablet Websites testing tool code named SmatLator (Smart Phone Emulator). Please see it live & the source code is released under Apache License 2.0 in Google Code Subversion Repository. You can also download the zipped version of the source code from here
Why there is one more emulator?
- I could not find an emulator which works in browser without any plugins i.e. Ripple
- Also could not find a consistent and robust screen capture utility of the Mobile UI to post the shots in the blogs or for collaterals & customer presentations
- Plugin based emulators are not debug friendly
- At times the plug in based emulators doesn’t render the website and no ability to debug unless we use any intercepting tools like fiddler which not all testers are comfortable with
- Final is passion & satisfaction…
To overcome the above problem statement, I rolled out my own emulator in 7 hours time! yes, it took only less than 7 hours which includes the following
- Thought process (Thanks to SenchaTouch documentation), tools & technologies selection
- Set up google code repository for releasing this project under Apache 2.0 License
- Writing this blog post
I picked up the idea and images from SenchaTocuch 2.0 Documentation Examples
The skeleton of the Tool i.e. layout and presentation is developed using Twitter Bootstrap without which I wouldn’t have completed in 7 hours time with decent user interface.
If you like this tool & post, please do submit your comments and feedbacks.